Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Woah Dream Big!

So Christmas is approaching....ugh I know I am broke too. But along with Christmas comes amazing Christmas toy commercials. Besides the quintessential Toys R Us "I don't wanna grow up I'm a toys r us kid..." I saw a commercial that was a "playhouse" for girls. This wasn't just a normal house though it was a special house it folded open into the most glorious parts of a house. It is a female's dream ...a kitchen, a nursery and a washing machine... woohooo I know that has always been my dream, to fold, fluff and cook. The line in the song of the commercial actually says "taking care of my home is a dream, dream dream!" Woah! Dream big little girls.

This type of marketing to little girls is terrifying. What does the media tell us to dream for? Now don't get me wrong, I respect a woman that chooses to stay at home and be a mother and take care of a home, it is a hard job. It is really harmful to female girls to have toys that show that their dreams should include solely housework. The only thing that could have made this better is if the dream house came with your very own husband to cook and clean for?

ENJOY

2 comments:

  1. i like where the world is going

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a marketer for my company, I can honestly tell you nobody is going to spend money that doesn't have a good ROI. The toy companies sell what is easy to sell, sorry girls, but it's in your nature to like children... God made you that way. Ok, you don't have to be a cleaning machine, but there is something hardwired in you to have a clean and safe home for your family. If it were up to guys, kids would be naked, eating pizza and watching football everyday.

    ReplyDelete